Bob’s Blog: My Last Blog

You know, if someone had told me five years ago that I would have been authoring a blog for this long, I would have been extremely skeptical. Blogging was a whole new thing to me at the time, and I wasn’t sure how it would fly.

Now that I’ve been hiking around the blogosphere all these years, I am so grateful that I stuck with the idea. I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing thoughts, updates, and stories with you, and have also enjoyed the many stories and comments you have sent along in return. I will truly miss this dialogue with all of you as I move on to retirement.

We have accomplished a great deal together, and I really don’t know where to begin to thank all of you for your commitment to our new BSA. We’ve shared some pretty hair-raising moments in the early part of this process, but I am proud to see how our councils across the country have pulled together to deliver the quality Scouting experience that’s so important to the sustainability of our movement.

Our 100th Anniversary Celebration helped reintroduce Scouting to America, and we have been hitting the ground running ever since. Rebuilding our organization has been a daunting task, but I am grateful to our leadership team and others who helped walk us through those challenging times. With this foundation now in place, we’ve been able to deliver outstanding results with renewed purpose and flexibility as we move forward.

Our new BSA identity—Prepared. For Life.™—and the marketing push behind it have helped us redefine Scouting to America. With our councils’ dedication to Journey to Excellence, we are seeing dramatic improvements in recruitment and retention. Our commitment and the wonderful support from many of our stakeholders for the Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve will pave the way for our next century of Scouts and leaders to experience and enjoy more outdoor adventures than ever before. As the new home for our national Scout jamboree and the 2019 World Scout Jamboree, the Summit delivers a bold statement to our nation and the world about the importance of Scouting to young people everywhere.

We have made tremendous strides in reaching out to underserved neighborhoods through the Hispanic Initiative and other multicultural programs. We have stepped out aggressively to tackle the issues of health for our young people through SCOUTStrong™. Our Youth Protection programs and training are stronger than ever. Through our STEM outreach, we’re making Scouting high-tech and cool as we help educate young people in vital areas of science and math. I’m also proud of the leadership role that the BSA played on the global stage in the launch of the Messengers of Peace program, which benefits communities around the world.

In addition, the accomplishments of our movement have received valuable third-party endorsement through Merit Beyond the Badge, a Baylor University study funded by the John Templeton Foundation that measured the lifelong effects of being in the Scouting program and, more specifically, of attaining the rank of Eagle Scout. This is an achievement we can all point to with pride.

As I’ve traveled around the country to visit councils, attend campfires, speak to Rotary clubs, and make other appearances on behalf of our organization, it has been so inspiring to see the progress we’ve made, and all the young faces who eagerly embrace what Scouting has to offer. These are moments I will always remember and treasure.

We have so much to be grateful for, and it is extremely difficult to step aside and know that all we have accomplished together will soon pass me by. At the same time, I know that I will be witnessing many new and significant milestones for our movement in the coming years, and am extremely proud to have had a lifetime role in serving America’s youth.

God bless all of you, my friends, for what you do for Scouting every day. I wish you and our new leadership all the best as you move forward to keep the torch lit and the trail open for many new and exciting Scouting adventures.

Yours in Scouting,

Bob

16 Responses to Bob’s Blog: My Last Blog

1. Scott Rosengren says:

Congratulations on your retirement. Thank you for steering the ship. I try to read your blog faithfully and I am excited by the changes that BSA is making. I have been a registrar in a North Central Ma council for 20 years and I just completed the Registrars Accreditation Course. Thanks again for your help and inspiration!

2. Jim Wilson says:

Happy Trails, Bob. You will be missed.

3. You should know that progress we will make moving forward will not pass you by, as the steps we take from this point forward will carry you in our hearts. Thanks for sharing your vision!

4. Mark Barbernitz says:

You cast a long shadow on this great movement. Thank you for your service.

5. Leah Overson says:

Thank you for giving so much of your life to Scouting, Bob. Take care of yourself please.

6. Brian Buchanan says:

“No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way.”—Baden-Powell

Thanks for all that you’ve done for Scouting, Bob!

7. Jack Sears says:

Thanks Bob for your courage, passion, leadership and friendship. Enjoy your retirement. You leave the Mission of the BSA in great hands to continue the journey- and we will march hard to insure that a maximum number of young people are enrolled in a Scouting program of the highest calibre!

8. Charles Howard-Gibbon says:

Bob — it has been my pleasure to work with you in Scouting going all the way back to my days as an O.A. youth leader in Golden Empire Council. Thank you for your leadership as a professional Scouter, including your time as the “Chief”, and for your inspiration of all Scouters across this great country!

9. Marty Kadel says:

Wecome to the wonderful world of retirement!!! You’ll soon lose track of what day it is…your calendar will become less & less critical. I had a withdrawel issue & had to volunteer at my local council camp. You aren’t that nuts! Thanks for all your kindnesses over the last several years!

• Scott Morgan says:

Didn’t realize you had retired, Marty. You and Eric were my favorite CPD instructors when I was a BSA professional. I’m now a professional development trainer (here in south Louisiana, pretty much next door to Eric’s new assignment), which you guys helped inspire me to become. Thanks Marty and take care!

10. Darryl Alder says:

Five years ago we needed strong and enduring leadership; you offered it to me. I have felt well led and challenged. The nation will be better for what you gave us. Thank you.

11. Dave Harkins says:

Enjoy your retirement, Bob. Well deserved. Thank you for all you’ve done for Scouting.

12. Jim Molebash says:

Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly….
    Thank you Bob…Good Scout!

13. Anthony D. Haines says:

Thank you for your tireless work and dedication. God Speed Bob Mazzuca!

14. Lee Marconi says:

Congratulations again Bob… you should be very proud of your career with the Boy Scouts of America and even more with the legacy you have left with so many youth, leaders and colleagues.