One Oath and Law Approved for All BSA Programs
- Adopt the Scout Oath and Scout Law for use in the Cub Scout program, retiring the Cub Scout Promise.
- Revise the Core Values of Cub Scouts to align exactly with the 12 points of the Scout Law.
- Retire the Law of the Pack, while maintaining the concept of “Akela” as leader.
- Maintain the current Cub Scout motto, sign, salute, and handshake.
- Retire the Venturing Oath, Code, sign, and salute .
- Adopt the Scout Oath, Scout Law, Scout sign, and Scout salute.
- Engage the task force and National Youth Cabinet to determine whether Venturing should have a differentiating motto/slogan or adopt “Be Prepared.”
These changes will become effective with the release of youth handbooks and leader aids supporting this and other changes related to Strategic Plan Goal 411, approximately Jan. 1, 2014, for Venturing-related changes and May 15, 2015, for Cub Scout- and Boy Scout-related changes. Changes to publications, websites, and other materials should NOT be initiated based on this article. Those will be handled based on the previously stated timing and will be initiated by the task forces working on the respective programs.
Shown below are copies of the board resolution and a document addressing common questions and answers. Additional questions or requests for more information may be directed to email@example.com.