BSA Racing: Scouting Events Keep TeamSLR Busy Between Races
Life stays busy for TeamSLR and Scott “Scotty” Lagasse Jr., even with some weeks off before his next NASCAR Nationwide Series race. One of the unique aspects of TeamSLR’s relationship with the Boy Scouts of America is that there are seemingly limitless opportunities and events in which the team can engage Scouts and their families.
With appearances scheduled across the country, the team is working tirelessly to promote the BSA and assist partners during this “calm before the storm.” “We know how busy we will be once we announce new marketing partners and ramp up our race schedule, so we want to make the best of our available time now,” said Lagasse. TeamSLR has been making quite a buzz with its cutting-edge program that puts BSA Racing at the top of every Scout’s wish list.
Lagasse and the team produced a solid performance at the Richmond NASCAR Nationwide race on April 26 as the new program continues to develop. “Our performance was better than our finish, but we are realistic about our expectations at this stage and we are being patient with our results,” he said.
“The last month or so has been full of events and I am honored to be a part of each one,” said Lagasse. “At all of these events, I have experienced something fun and rewarding.”
Other recent events include:
- May 7: Attended the Central Florida Council Osceola District’s 2013 Annual Friends of Scouting fundraising dinner at the historic Casa Monica Hotel in St. Augustine.
- May 15: TeamSLR and the BSA car visited Hickory Creek Elementary School for the Hickory Creek 500, where first- and fifth-graders who reached a reading goal of 500 books could participate in the race consisting of cardboard cars that were piloted around the bases on the baseball field.
- May 16-17: Scotty went “Over the Edge” with the North Florida Council’s fundraising event that involved dignitaries, celebrities, and donors rappelling 460 feet down the side of the EverBank Building in downtown Jacksonville, Florida.
- May 22-25: Scotty and TeamSLR attended the National Annual Meeting, providing the BeAScout.org NASCAR race car for all to see along with a TeamSLR booth showcasing the many opportunities for local councils around the country to get involved with BSA Racing.
- June 5: The Lewis and Clark Council in St. Louis, Missouri, held their annual Friends of Scouting Thank-You Celebration with a racing theme entitled “Meet us in Victory Lane,” held at Gateway Motorsports Park.
- June 20: TeamSLR will spend two days at the North Florida Council’s Camp Shands with a large group of Scouts from around the southeastern U.S.