Cooking Merit Badge to Join Eagle-Required List Jan. 1

Significant changes are coming to the Cooking merit badge. First, this badge will become Eagle-required beginning Jan. 1, 2014. In addition, there will be a major overhaul to the requirements, which will take effect Jan. 1, 2015.

The addition of the Cooking merit badge to the Eagle-required list means that, regardless of when a Scout earned the Life rank or began working on the Eagle Scout rank, he must earn the Cooking merit badge to become an Eagle Scout (unless he fulfills all the requirements, except his board of review, before Jan. 1, 2014).

As for the changes to the requirements, they’ll appear in a revised merit badge pamphlet that will be released during 2013. The new requirements then become effective Jan. 1, 2015, with the release of Boy Scout Requirements, No. 34765.

Scouts who have already earned the Cooking merit badge are not required to re-earn the badge under the new requirements in order to qualify for the Eagle Scout Award.

For more details on the changes to the Cooking merit badge, visit this post on the Bryan on Scouting blog.

14 Responses to Cooking Merit Badge to Join Eagle-Required List Jan. 1

1. Karen Gutierrez says:

Ok, I tried to read all of the questions for the answer and the question I have is Does this mean there will be 13 required meritbadges for the eagle or is this an or with one of the other ones.???

2. Mike Wellech says:

There are currently 12 required and 9 optional merit badges to become an Eagle. Is the Cooking badge replacing a current required badge? If so which one? Or is the Cooking badge replacing one of the optional badges but becoming a required badge? Is the overall number of required and optional badges remaining the same? Please clear up my confusion.

3. Bob says:

•Personal Management
    •Swimming OR Hiking OR Cycling
    •Camping
    •Family Life
    •Cooking

4. Mary Herlick says:

Does this mean the paperwork must be in and verified at the council office prior to January 1?
    I understand that any application that comes in after January 1st will be subject to the new requirement.

5. Lou Leopold says:

Here’s the information, straight from Chris Hunt, national Advancement Team professional adviser:

* The merit badge will be a required for Eagle MB effective January 1, 2014. This is a new required merit badge (it does not replace any existing). This brings the total number of required to 13). This has not changed since it was announced back in October 2012.

* Since the pamphlet for the revised merit badge will not be available until after January 1, 2014, a Scout may use the current requirements towards earning that merit badge and still have it count as an Eagle-required merit badge.

* After the new merit badge pamphlet is released and available sometime in 2014, if the Scout has already started on the merit badge using the current requirements, the Scout will have the option of to complete the badge using the current requirements or switching to use the new requirements.

* Now, here is a deviation from the 2013 GTA (which the national Advancement Team, and only the national Advancement Team can do), and only for the calendar year of 2014, if the Scout had not started the merit badge by the time the new merit badge pamphlet is released and available, the Scout STILL has the choice of using the current requirements or use the new requirements to complete the badge. Yes, two sets of requirements – current and new are acceptable during this transition period for *all* Scouts.

* As of January 1, 2015, if the Scout has not already started the merit badge, he then *MUST* use the new merit badge requirements to earn it.

Hope this helps.

6. Tammy says:

When will the green band on the outside of the Merit Badge go from green to silver, signifying it will then be an Eagle required MB?

7. John Cope says:

When will the new pamphlet for the Cooking Merit Badge be available. I have not found it online and my district scout shop does not have it or know much about it.

8. Clark Kent says:

If I have a Life scout that has been on different long term camp out’s in the wilderness that were not counted for rank advancement, can I count any of his cooking during that time toward cooking badge MB? As with the camping merit badge on troop master software program I believe nights are counted even though the scout might not have started the badge till a few years after becoming a boy scout or does the first outings just apply to rank advancement and once those night done then any other nights camping that are completed then they go toward camping MB.

9. Eric Burt says:

I was one of the 50+ Scoutmasters recognized at the 2013 session in Grapevine and I can tell you very few of us like this situation.

Cooking is a great merit badge but to force it onto a boy who is already a Scout working through the program is down right wrong – especially if the Scout is already Life.

Any current First Class Scout and above should have been exempt. Moving the goal line after the game has started is not very Scout-like and lacks Scout Spirit.

• Cody White says:

I agree with Eric Burt wholeheartedly. My son is a Star Rank, & we have planned out the whole path to Eagle; but now the game has changed. I have to say I’m not surprised though, from an organization that just changed it’s definition of “morally straight” after 100+ years.

10. Matt says:

As a scout leader I think this is a very smart choice. We have so many young men along with their parents growing up on fast food with no idea how to cook! When they get married and become adults they will be thankful for earning the badge.

11. Ed says:

As the scoutmaster of our troop, and an Eagle Scout myself, and as a father of one Eagle Scout and one Life Scout who is working on his final requirement for Eagle, with his Eagle Project, I am totally disgusted with BSA and their policy to change the rules in mid-stream to require Cooking merit badge, after a scout has already been working on their Life Rank. I would like to suggest that the BSA adds one more law to the Scout Law, and that is “Honor”. BSA has no honor when it will not honor its published rank requirements. My office donates to the friends of scouting on my behalf. I will be instructing them to immediately cease their donations to BSA.

12. Carolyn Silverthorn says:

As a parent of a Life scout who is 17 years old, I am very disappointed in the addition of this merit badge and the requirement that all scouts regardless of earned rank must complete it for Eagle. I think it is a very valuable badge but unfair to expect a scout to complete the requirements within a year of aging out. Being able to complete the requirements depends on the troop’s camping frequency and/or the scout’s ability to attend summer camp. My son works at Camp Hart all summer and so is not able to additionally attend a camp. Any suggestions for completing this badge in short order would be greatly appreciated.