Effective Dates Announced for Scout Oath and Law Change

Last year, the National Executive Board passed a resolution that, in support of the mission of the Boy Scouts of America, all programs would begin using the Scout Oath and Law. Recently, there have been a number of questions about the effective date of this change, which primarily affects Cub Scouting and Venturing.

The resolution reads, in part: “effective with the release of youth handbooks and leader aids supporting this and other changes related to Strategic Plan Goal 411.” The release of these materials (and the effective date of the change) will be May 2014 for Venturing and May 2015 for Cub Scouting.

13 Responses to Effective Dates Announced for Scout Oath and Law Change

1. Trip Selman says:

In light of the controversy over the new membership standard, PLEASE try to minimize the publicity over the change in the oath and law.

2. Kenneth Griggs says:

This is not going to happen in regard to Cub Scouts. All Cub leaders I know will ignore. To quote one, “They are throwing Mogli out with the bath water.” If I read the article correctly in Scouter Magazine, the change is not supported by the study group that found each oath was appropriately chalenging to each age group. I strongly recommend National survey Scout Leaders thru Voice of Scouting. I am on that list. HOWEVER, if you want to improve the Cub Scout Promise, flip the last two parts so that Law comes before Help. The Cub Scout Promise then becomes almost identical to the first two thirds of the Boy Scout Oath. The Cub going into Boy Scouts then only has to learn the last part of the Boy Scout Oath. Lets not step in it like the Belt Loop Advancement Program.

• Mikemenn says:

It’s going to happen. The only way it won’t happen is if you don’t try. With this change will come new literature to back it up so I doubt you’ll have a choice.

Please try and do what you ask your cubbies to do now and something that isn’t going away … Do Your Best!

3. Kevin D Harner says:

This is a big mistake. Each program had their merits the way they are. Each having their own oath, law, promos is very important. Cubs have a goal to be a Boy Scout

4. Connie Knie says:

I don’t understand the resistance to change that I am seeing here. Folks seem to be underestimating the ability of young scouts to absorb and understand the Oath and Law.

I believe that there is a huge separation in the minds of most parents and subsequently their scouts between the two programs.

Staring the younger scouts with the Oath and Law will not only help bridge this gap, but start to internalize living these ideals at a much younger age.

While I don’t always agree that change for the sake of change is necessary, I don’t believe that this is a case like that.

5. This is great for our Cub Scouts to develop an understanding of the Scout Oath and Law at a younger age and prepare them when they crossover to become Boy Scouts. Although we start the transition in May 2015 it may be a good idea to start coaching Cubs now to prepare them for the change.

6. James Blair says:

Leave the Cub Scout Promise alone. It has worked well enough for over 60 years.

As far as Venturing goes, they are not Boy Scouts. Don’t mix the two. If Venturing isn’t working, then either finish the overhaul to make it truly a distinct program, or just shut it down and be done with it.

The article I read in Scouter listing the reasons for these changes was so contradictory I could not believe I was reading it in a BSA publication. It looked like “trustworthy” had been thrown out the window and the real reason for these changes was being hidden.

Either the National Executive Board is out of touch with Scouting as it was intended to be, or they have an agenda to fundamentally transform Scouting into something that would shock the original founders.

7. Connie Knie says:

Anyone who does not follow these changes are doing their young scouts a real disservice.

Now that having been said, just because something has worked for 60 years does not mean it is not time to take a look at if it is still the best thing.

This also has nothing to do with the National Executive Board. Unless I am mistaken this was done by a volunteer task force.

8. John Whitford says:

Each program in Scouting should be as unique as possible. I do support retaining the present Cub Promise and Law of the Pack. Not tradition for traditions sake but for a sense of change and newness for boys moving up to a troop. We need to insure that a Cub wants to be a Webelos and that a Webelos wants to be a Scout by having differences in the programs that separate them, make them unique and offer a challenge that is fun and interesting to the boys. However, publicly for now and when the change comes I will support it and promote it to our volunteers through training and other means as I doubt that the folks at National will change their minds. By the way, I rebuilt a pack from dead to over 50 members in 2 years as a volunteer and after I left it continued to grow to over 90 members. My opinion is based upon experience. And a very Merry Christmas and a Great and Happy New Year to everyone.

9. Brent M says:

I have worked with the eleven year old scouts for many years as they first transitioned from cub scouts to boy scouts. They were always confused when they had to learn a new oath and I love the idea of providing our boys with consistency between the programs. That way we can focus more on building the characteristics envisioned for our youth and spend less time having discussions with the boys about why Scouts decided to change the oath in successive programs.

10. Anne Marie Reidy Borenstein says:

Has the scouting executive board consulted any educational or developmental experts on whether the younger Cubs are ready to memorize the Boy Scout oath and laws? I was a den leader; when it was time for my Webelos to learn the Boy Scout law and oath, we worked on it every week for a year before all 12 knew it by heart. And my kids were quite bright, and dedicated; I am going to my seventh Eagle COH in December. Any teacher will tell you that asking a child to do a task they are not ready for is a waste of time. The child will not succeed; it will frustrate them, and frustrated kids tend to turn away and do something else……

11. Connie Knie says:

There is no memorization needed at the Cub Scout level.

12. JD says:

They will totally be able to do it. My youngest (Tiger), had this memorized within 1 day after working with his older brothers this past summer. So I am not worried. Change can be uncomfortable.